[For the record, my use of this ad does not imply endorsement of the candidate it advertises. My 2016 endorsement was already made four years ago. I endorsed Russ Sype then, and I still say he is the best candidate now.]
I had never heard that song until I saw Sanders’s ad above. It is a good song, and I normally am not even a big Simon and Garfunkel fan.
What I find interesting is that there are a number of lines in the song that fit the 2016 candidates, on both sides:
- “I’ve got some real estate here in my bag”: Trump
- “Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike”: Christie
- “We’ll marry our fortunes together”: Bill and Hillary Clinton
- It’s not in the ad above, but the line “Michigan seems like a dream to me now” is in the full song, and could fit either Clinton or Sanders after last week.
- Again, not in the ad above, but it also includes the line “Be careful his bow tie is really a camera”. I am not sure why, but this somehow fits Cruz, even though he doesn’t wear a bow tie.